New project on the way

I started working on both projects and first thing I needed was to setup my development environment. I started installing Apache, and then MySQL and PHP. For some reason things didn't work out. I got so frustrated that I went and decided that since this is a development box, there was no need for me to tune the different pieces individually. I remember using XAMPP years ago, so I decided to look for the same package or similar one. I found XAMPP and also WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL and PHP) . I decided to go with WAMP. Install was quick, easy and completely painless, if you are trying to get a development box up and running in no time, I'd advice you get WAMP. WAMP comes with PHPMyAdmin, however I decided to try some of the apps provided by MySQl, so I downloaded the MySQL GUI Tools. I have to say that is a pretty nice set of applications. Speaking of tools from MySQL, the one I'm interested in, that is in Beta is MySQL WorkBench, which will include the DBDesigner software for data modeling. I've been using DBDesigner as a stand alon application from Fabforce.net for the other project related to Joomla. I initially stumbled upon this while looking for the ERD of Joomla and I have to say that for a piece of software that comes free is a pretty good application. çB^]\..

No comments: